b_clr.gif (2160 bytes)a_clr.gif (1952 bytes)l_clr.gif (1442 bytes)l_clr.gif (1442 bytes)y_clr.gif (1465 bytes)c_clr.gif (1584 bytes)a_clr.gif (1952 bytes)s_clr.gif (1787 bytes)t_clr.gif (1631 bytes)l_clr.gif (1442 bytes)e_clr.gif (1798 bytes)
 
 

Whitepark Bay

 

Whitepark Bay Video
(.asf 333KB)

 

 

Situated about 7 miles west of Ballycastle, Whitepark Bay is about 2 miles wide opening straight into the Atlantic ocean and accessible from either the car park at the top of a steep climb or from Ballintoy harbour which is just around the headland in the distance to the east. Neolithic man chose this beautiful place as an early home and a tumulus can be seen among the dunes. In the north-west corner of the bay is a tiny cluster of houses called Portbraddan, which contains Ireland's smallest church, a thatched building about 10ft by 6ft dedicated to St Gobhan, the patron saint of builders.
The beach is not suitable for swimming as the beach has dangerous currents and sand shelves. For these reasons it is not particularly busy with bathers rather more it is an ideal spot for the naturalist. It has inspired many a budding artist. The steep limestone cliffs and strong winds make it attractive to the occasional hand gliding enthusiast.

Location

West on the B15 coast road from Ballycastle you will pass through the village of Ballintoy and Whitepark Bay is about another 2 miles.

Home                       Guided Tour                       Activities                       Food&Drink                       Accommodation                       Transport                       Other                       Links
Site Design & Content 2002, All Rights Reserved
  Webmaster